Suitable trailers for Sling transport - Polaris Slingshot Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Suitable trailers for Sling transport

I am not yet a Sling owner but am considering it. My regular home is in Texas but I spend my summers in Wisconsin. At 73 I doubt that I will want to do that commute in the Sling twice a year plus my wife will protest having to drive a separate vehicle. Therefore, I am looking into an appropriate trailer to transport it back and forth. There appear to be several alternatives: The Ultimate Trailers (Polaris Slingshot Trailer), an 81" wide utility trailer or car hauler and a snowmobile trailer. I currently own a 76" x 16' utility trailer that hauls the Spyder and occasionally a small crawler tractor but it is obviously too narrow. The Ultimate Trailers unit is very nice but premium priced. Trade into a wider utility trailer make the most sense economically and the snowmobile trailer has a lot to be said for it in weight (aluminum) and width (101").

Now comes the big question: loading the Sling. All but the TUT trailer require ramps -and long ones! I have looked extensively for the "approach angle" of the Sling without success. Does anyone out there know what the approach angle for the Sling is? This may help me and others in this quandary sort out our approach to Sling transport. Thanks from a Newbie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 08:10 PM

You may want to look at Kompact Kamp Trailers.com in Pa.
The Mini Mate Trailer for 3k looks nice.
I pulled one just like it with 1982 Goldwing .
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 09:49 PM

Garage
Check out Race Ramps.com.....they have a approach angle calculator that you just plug your numbers into and they give you the angle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 01:11 AM
BKL

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Discount Ramps also has a ramp length calculator.
Big Tex trailers makes a 14 ft dual axle car hauler that retails for as low as about $1800. It has a flat bed as opposed to a turned-down rear, so it needs longer ramps. According to the Discount ramps calculator, it needs a ramp at least 8 ft 3-3/4" long. Discount ramps currently sells their BW-10840-HD 9 ft ramp for $350 shipped and two would be needed for the Slingshot's width. I have been thinking about this approach, and carrying the folded ramps mounted vertically at the front of the trailer to act as a stone guard when towing. Over on the Slingshotforums, at least one member has had an aluminum trailer custom-built, but I don't remember what the cost was.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the response guys. Because I don't yet have a Sling in the driveway to measure I was hoping that someone might have the approach angle. The calculation is the easy part. I extended a set of 6' ramps by building 2' extensions out of wood for my existing trailer in order to load a Prius. They weigh about 25-30 lbs. each and are easy to handle. Worked well and should work for the Sling whatever route I take for a trailer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris Slingshot Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page