Pinstriping black plastic front air dam. - Polaris Slingshot Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 02:33 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Pinstriping black plastic front air dam.

Hey folks,
Am monkeying around with vinyl pinstriping tape on the front of the Sling. Liking the look of the striping so far. The plastic on the dam (?) is grainy/rough. Cleaned the surfaces with alcohol prior to the install. The tape stuck fairly well, but not as positive as I wanted. Has one our esteemed forum members attempted this exercise, and if so, what was your experience. I used my spousal unit's blow dryer to gently heat the tape, hoping it would help with adhesion to this surface. Your technical expertise and advise is appreciated! This seems to be an inexpensive way to be a little creative and add some pop to the Sling. Gonna let it cure over night and see what I got in the a.m. Fingers crossed.
Rocklinmike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I wouldn't try to use vinyl pinstripe on any of the grainy surfaces, but if you do I would highly recommend an adhesion promoter. You can get these in single-use pens on Ebay for a couple dollars. I've used the 3M promoter for a number of things with very good results. Clean the surface, apply the promoter and let it dry for a few minutes. Apply the pinstripe with good pressure and follow up with moderate heat and pressure to ensure it adheres to the full surface and not just the high points.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 02:08 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you for the reply. I did everything you suggested except the adhesion promoter. Will give it try.

2016 Sling SL/SE The white one.
2015 Yamaha FJ09
2006 Yamaha FJR 1300

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris Slingshot Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page