RPM issue with clutch disengaged - Polaris Slingshot Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
RPM issue with clutch disengaged

I've been experiencing something that doesn't make a lot of sense. It's been on going since day one but I thought maybe it was relevant to the break in period and maybe it being new and tight. I now have 675 miles on it and it continues to occur. Diagnostics say there's nothing wrong, but something is.

First noticed it when I'm slowing down to come to a stop. I'm down to 15 MPH and press the clutch in as I approach the light. The RPM's drop down to 400 RPM, the engine shudders and it then dies. It frequently drops to about 500 when I press the clutch down, but usually recovers to the normal idle of 800 RPM's. I happens at other speeds and other gears too but it isn't constant at one speed or gear or road condition. Also, while a tech was riding with me after the diagnostics said there was nothing wrong, we were going over an overpass in third gear at 35 to 40 MPH and between 3000 and 3500 RPM. I put in the clutch and it dropped off to below 400 RPM and died.

Has anyone else experienced this at any time? If so, was this issue resolved? If so, what was determined to be the cause?

Thank you...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 04:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Wait. The tech was in the car when it happened and he still didn't know what was wrong?

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueNorth View Post
Wait. The tech was in the car when it happened and he still didn't know what was wrong?
These are very new and they're experiencing these things for the first time as they encounter them and working with Polaris to figure out where the problem lies. There's no question there is a problem and Polaris is working with them and me to figure it out and resolve it. They checked all the mechanical components first and run diagnostics and they check out, so far. We've narrowed it down to it being a non-mechanical issue. I got an ESP system failure light on the way home and called them and told them what had happened. It's apparent, to me, that it's going to turn out to be either a software issue or computer malfunction. Polaris has asked me to bring it back to the dealership and they have a full computer test process that they're going to run and see what the report reveals. Once this is completed, we should have some answers. They're working to resolve it and I'm sure it will be resolved, one way or another.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Well the good news is that a problem with the software should be easy to fix once they figure out what the actual problem is. Let us know what the problem ends up being and how it gets solved. Best of luck.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueNorth View Post
Well the good news is that a problem with the software should be easy to fix once they figure out what the actual problem is. Let us know what the problem ends up being and how it gets solved. Best of luck.
I took it back in this morning and they hooked it back up to the computer. The error message for the 'system failure' was not there. They acknowledged that it would have initiated an error message but it wasn't recorded or saved in the system. Everything still showed to be normal. We discussed the problem and I expressed my belief that there was possibly something wrong with the computer software. Either corrupted software or bad computer module. I suggested that it might be a good solution to clear the program from the computer and reload the software to the computer. They called Polaris again and they agreed with the request to clear out the computer and reinstall all the latest software into my computer module. So far, so good. A few more times out will confirm or reveal if there are any other issues.

I'm very happy with my dealership and Polaris' cooperation in getting this problem addressed and resolved. Now, just need some decent weather.... smiling
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Not bad at all, glad to hear about the positive experience at the dealer you go to

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
When I was driving yesterday, my RPMs also dropped off below 500 when coming to a stop with the clutch pressed. It hasn't died yet it felt like the clutch didn't completely disengage, so started push the all the way down and it seemed to help. Something I will have looked at, if it continues.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 10:29 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Yup, not always will techs be able to pick up on issues right away just as anyone would with a new vehicle... heck some of them might be able to make some 'ground breaking' fix or discover some fix for some issue.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris Slingshot Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page